Sunday, August 14, 2005

Male & Female: noting the differences

Here's noting the differences between men and women, male and female, the different ways we're wired. (See, even our language is different. "Wired" is more likely guy talk than girl talk.)

My 16-year-old daughter went to a Portland Beavers minor league baseball game a couple of evenings ago with one of her best girlfriends, the friend's father, and a couple who are friends of the father.

When I picked her up for the weekend (being a single dad, she's with me every other weekend) after the game, my first question almost was, "So, who won?"

But I caught myself. I realized that for her, the most important part of the evening wasn't who won, but did she have a good time with her friend? I knew it before I even asked the question. For her it's the relationship, spending the time with her friend, that's the most important.

That's a good illustration of a key difference in how men and women are wired.

My male competitiveness wants to know first off who won, not whether she had a good time with her friend.

I know that she's not even a baseball fan. So the draw for her was spending time with her friend...the relationship with her friend is what reaches to her core. Of course, she being a teen has something to do with it, too.

No comments: