Friday, November 25, 2005

What's my place in God's story?

Lately I've been listening a lot to Steve Curtis Chapman's album "All Things New," which is full of songs that are thoughtful and have deep meaning.

This morning the song "Big Story" jumped out at me. The chorus goes like this:

This is the big story
There is a God who's in control
Telling the big story
And He wants us to know
We will find ourselves when we lose ourselves
In the bigger story
Come and take your place in the story

Have you found your place in God's story?

You see, the thing is, my life is not about me. As much as I'd like to think it is, as much as I've lived my life as if it's all about me, in reality, in the end, it's about God, not about me.

Because of my sinful nature, because I am human and not perfect, my natural way of living is to live to satisy my own wants and desires, to be centered on me.

Now wants and desires are not all bad. If I am truly connected to the Giver of Life, my Creator, my wants and desires will be in concert with God's wants and desires for my life -- I will be living for Him and not for myself.

However, if I am not in tune with God, if I have no connection to Him, then my wants and desires are more likely to be self-centered.

Satan works hard to trap and snare us into living for ourselves, to live selfishly. He tricks us into buying into society's messages to "be true" to myself, that "what's true for you isn't true for me," that "there are not absolutes," so I can "do my own thing."

Sure, the world has many "good" people who are apparently doing good for others and are not followers of Christ.

But the core issue is, am I living for Christ? Does how I live and what I do point to and glorify Christ?

If not, then I have not found my place in God's story.

Does that mean I have to live a perfect life? Absolutely not. There's no way that we imperfect humans can live perfect lives. In fact, because we are not perfect God can work through us to reach others. By showing how God has worked in my life, I can show others how God can work in theirs. What God wants from us is a relationship with Him so that we can understand our places in His story.

God wants you and me find our places in His story. He wants you and me to be a part of telling His story, what He has done in your life and my life, and what He can do in the lives of others. And by doing so we can touch others and open their hearts to coming to know Jesus.

More about learning your story: To Be Told: Know Your Story, Shape Your Future, by Dan B. Allender, Ph.D.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For a guy who says it's not about me, your narcissism shows with the frequency you use "I" as a pronoun, noun...